Double housing allowance for the same home.

We have a husband and wife as pastors in our church. One is Childrens, one is youth. Can we pay both of themj a housing allowance if they are in the same home. The total amount we pay them is still under what they pay for monthy expences?

Comments for Double housing allowance for the same home.

Click here to add your own comments

Dec 04, 2013
dual housing
by: Sandi

The only information I could find on both duly ordained- looks like it would be ok if the council has pre-approved, remember it is up to the pastors to correctly report amounts, the council must just be realistic in the amount given.... and a call to the IRS is always a good idea if support is needed...
irs pub 517:
Husband and Wife
Missionary Team
If a husband and wife are both duly ordained,
commissioned, or licensed ministers of a
church and have an agreement that each will
perform specific services for which they are
paid jointly or separately, they must divide the
self­employment income according to the
If the agreement is with one spouse only
and the other spouse is not paid for any specific
duties, amounts received for their services are
included only in the self­employment income of
the spouse having the agreement

Jan 29, 2014
Double housing/utilities allowance
by: Anonymous

If two ministers (husband and wife) both work for different churches and both get housing/utilities allowances and live in same house would both be eligible for tax-exempt housing allowances?

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.