Do I file a 941 if all we paid is a housing allowance to the minister?

This is our first year of operations and we only paid our pastor a housing allowance. Do we still need to file a 941 and applicable state form, even though no wages were paid and there were no withholdings?

vickey's reply

You do not include a minister's housing allowance when figuring and entering wages on a 941 form, so if that was all he received then you would not need to file this form.

As far as a state related form, you would need to check with your state's laws to ensure that the same goes for their forms.

Comments for Do I file a 941 if all we paid is a housing allowance to the minister?

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 05, 2011
Housing Allowance Only
by: Pete

If you are paying your pastor a housing allowance in lieu of salary the IRS takes a grim view of that and this will get your pastor in trouble.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to IRS Form 941.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.