Contributions on behalf of a third party

by kmborg

Situation: Contributor A writes contribution (tithe) check to church for stated amount. On Memo Line Contributor A writes "to be credited to Contributor B".

How is the contribution to be recorded?

In the name of Contributor A or in the name of Contributor B?

My situation is an aunt making tithe contributions for a niece who is out of the country. I am presuming the niece is sending the aunt the money, not via a check, and requesting aunt to make tithe contribution to home church.

It had been the advice of several other church treasurers that the contribution had to be recorded under the name on the check. Appreciate your input.

Comments for Contributions on behalf of a third party

Average Rating starstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 19, 2015
Contributions on behalf of a third party. . .
by: Lewis in NC

If a contributor is out of the country and sends cash, then put the cash in an envelope with instructions on which fund contributed to written on the envelope and give to the church.

Keep the accounting simple; if contributor A sends a check, then give credit to A. If contributor B writes and sends a check, then give credit to contributor B. The contributor should adapt to the logic of the paper trail of proper accounting.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Contributions Q&A.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.