Clergy housing allowance and SE status for hospice chaplains

by Nicky
(Camarillo, CA US)

I currently work as an ordained hospice chaplain and the scope of the work qualifies me to receive the clergy housing allowance for ordained ministers.

My questions:
--Can I claim designated housing allowance with a letter only (so amount necessarily reflected on W-2)?
--Do I need to be in designed Self Employed Status to receive the housing allowance (e.g. the employer is NOT paying the employer's share of SS and I am not having SS deducted in my paycheck)?

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Minister's W-2.