Clergy exempt from Self-employment tax BUT WANTS to start paying SE tax

by BJR

Searching for answers. Clergy already approved for exemption from social security tax. Wants to now be in the social security system.

Still has ONLY Ministerial income. Understand that no revocation form currently available.

What if Clergy simply notes income as SE income and starts paying the SE tax. Will he be covered under SE for the period he files the SE taxability form? I guess meaning he does not consider the income ministerial income any longer but SE income.

Comments for Clergy exempt from Self-employment tax BUT WANTS to start paying SE tax

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 25, 2016
Revoking form 4361?
by: Lewis in NC

You need to keep constant check over the years with the Social Security Administration to learn if and when there will be a new window to revoke your decision to be exempt in the first place, as it was a permanent decision.

You may want to contact your government representatives to encourage another window of time for revoking the decision to be passed into law.

That is about all you as an individual can do at the moment. Check now with SS administration to see if there is a new window or if there is pending legislation to have one. Good luck.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to IRS Form 4361.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.