Claiming housing on tax when self employed

I am licensed minister in wash. DC. I am attending Seminary in another state. I need to attain housing to attend school full time.

I am not employed at a church.

I pay rent for a room which I occupy 3 days a week to attend classes. Can I claim the rental expense and utilities on my individual tax return? How do I go about that? And what forms do I use?

Can you recommend a tax agent or company in dc area? Thank you

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.