Can I have a business bank account as a traveling minister?

by Scott

I am asked to speak and lead worship at other churches all over the country. I am paid an honorarium or am given any collected offerings. I would feel better if people could write checks to my ministry, rather than writing them out to me.

How do I do that? DBA? Sole Proprietorship? What do I need to do?

I understand I will have to pay taxes, as I'm not a "church" but what is the best way to so this?

Comments for Can I have a business bank account as a traveling minister?

Click here to add your own comments

May 27, 2014
by: Anonymous

if you are ordained, you are "self employed" so you should research IRS site on how to set up your "business" :-)


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Church Accounting FAQs.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.