Can a non exempt minister receive housing allowance?

by Rod
(Fresno, CA)

Many church starters are part time because their church is too small to support them. Consequently, they work another, mostly secular type job. Can they receive housing allowance? I have read IRS topic 417 and 517. I can't see any prohibition to it. RJW.

Vickey's Reply
Qualifying ministers can receive compensation from their church employer even if they are working secular jobs and that compensation can be set up BEFOREHAND as a housing allowance.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.