Can a missionary that is licensed to the gospel ministry still claim the exemption (see below)

by Austin

I am a full time missionary for a missions organization. I get paid monthly by organization and they are offering to give me a housing allowance.

My questions are:
1. I am licensed to the gospel ministry, but not ordained. Can I still claim the allowance?

2. Even though I get paid by more organization, they send me a 1099 at the end of the year, which I think makes me "self-employed" by the IRS. Does this make a difference?

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.