Can a Minister Obtain Health Insurance as Self-Employed

If a minister is considered to have dual status of "employee" for federal income tax purposes and "self-employed" for Social Security and Medicare purposes, can the minister obtain health insurance independently vs. as an employee of the church, at the lower rate for those who are "self-employed"? Quoted plan premiums for independently obtained health insurance always seem much lower for those who are self-employed.

Comments for Can a Minister Obtain Health Insurance as Self-Employed

Click here to add your own comments

Jun 19, 2013
Health Insurance
by: Sandi

At this time the benefit of health insurance is not required for small organizations....

If the church gives this benefit there are many rules to follow and it is best to contact a CPA that works with churches, to make sure the church policy is accurate.

I suggest a "site search" to find more info related to your church size and employees.

The IRS EO site( is the best way to find info in general and you can always call the IRS to get free advice.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Minister Employee.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.