Building Maintenance Reserve

by Pat
(Marietta, Ga USA)

We want to set aside a portion of rental income each month into a reserve account for building repair. What is the proper way to do this?


I state quite often on my site that in fund accounting you do not have to open a separate bank account for each fund; however, a building fund or emergency repair fund may be an exception to that rule.

You definitely need to set up its own fund in your church’s financial records to ensure that all transactions relating to that fund are kept separate from the general fund.

You may also want to consider setting it up in an interest bearing savings account or a certificate of deposit that limits the use of funds for a six- or 12-month period, but usually yields a higher interest rate.

Hope this helps,

Church Accounting Package

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Accounting.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.