Bi-vocational ministers

My husband is an ordained minister but is not employed by a church. He is bi-vocational. Does he have to be set up as a minister and pay his own social security and medicare taxes?

Vickey's Reply

Yes...he will have to pay his own social security and medicare taxes (self-employment taxes) especially if he is considered self-employed.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Clergy Tax Q&A.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!

Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.