Allowance added to wages on w-2

My allowance was include in my wages on my w-2 how can I fix this because now the IRS says I owe them more money. I have an agreement with the church I was getting a monthly allowance on my payroll check.

vickey's reply

Without knowing what type of allowance you are receiving I could not advise you what to do.

If it was a qualified housing allowance, your W-2 should be corrected. Housing allowance payments go in box 14 on a W-2. They are not included in box 1 on your W-2; however, there are other allowances that are included in box 1 such as a car allowance or Social Security allowance.

Know the answer? Face the same situation? Please post your answer or comment by using the "comment" link below. Thank you!

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Minister's W-2.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!

Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.