1099 to S Corp instead of indiviual

We have an interim minister that we paid as a contract employee.

I was planning on issuing him a 1099.

He has asked me to issue the 1099 to his wife's S Corp.

I'm thinking that is not a good idea. Any thoughts?

Comments for 1099 to S Corp instead of indiviual

Click here to add your own comments

Jan 08, 2020
by: Vickey

For one thing ...you would not issue a 1099 to a corporation... BUT the biggest issue is that the 1099 has to be issued to the individual who performed the service for the church.

Hopefully, you have a W-9 from him (never issue the check without one).

Process and file it in his own name!

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Housing Allowance.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.