1099 or W2 for visiting clergy?

by Vicki
(Pembine, WI)

Our full time Pastor retired in July, we have been paying an Interim Pastor a monthly stipend to oversee business affairs but he rarely preaches. We have many visiting clergy in which we pay them per service and mileage. I will issue the Interim Pastor a W2, but I am unsure if those visiting clergy who have received more than $600 would receive a 1099 or a W2?

Comments for 1099 or W2 for visiting clergy?

Click here to add your own comments

Dec 27, 2013
1099 or W-2?
by: Anonymous in NC

The visiting speakers would receive a 1099.

Jan 08, 2014
pay visiting pastors
by: Sandi

You state you give them income and reimburse for mileage:
just thought I'd mention to be sure to exclude the reimbursements.


Jun 11, 2014
Interim Pastors: Include on form 941 or not
by: Angie

Hi just wondered if interim pastors' wages have to be included on form 941 if they are receiving a 1099?

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Minister's W-2.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.