$1000 paid to song leader

We paid $1000 "bonus" at year end to a member of our church that leads the music almost every Sunday on a volunteer basis. Would this need to be treated as wages and withholding and PR taxes taken out, or would we need to 1099-Misc him?

Comments for $1000 paid to song leader

Click here to add your own comments

Oct 25, 2012
money to singer
by: Anonymous

She is no longer a volunteer if you give her money... basicly if you give money for any service performed they are employee or independant contractor... gotta love the IRS.... have her fill out a W-9 and give her a 1099 misc.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Love Offerings.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!

Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.