Wife of a Retiring Minister

by Diana
(Lewistown, MT)

My husband is retiring after 35 years of full time ministry as a pastor.

My question is: can he deduct our moving expenses to relocate to the place we are going to retire from the place where he is retiring? The distance is 1200 miles. Thank you.

vickey's reply

No. To qualify for the moving expense tax deduction your move must be because you started a new job. See this article on Moving Expenses Tax Deductions.

Please post your comment by using the "comment" link below. Thank you!

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Church Accounting FAQs.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.