Volunteer Pastor

by John

As a non paid volunteer pastor of our church can I claim any deductions for our home office which is located 30 miles from the church.

Can I claim a parsonage allowance?

I receive no salary, offering or stipend from the church for serving as its pastor.

Comments for Volunteer Pastor

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 07, 2012
housing allowance
by: Anonymous

housing allowance is something the council must approve prior to receiving. IRS pub 1828 will help you with how it works.

Nov 28, 2012
No Deductions for No Income
by: Vickey

The tax laws generally do not allow deductions when there is no income.

Same thing for the housing allowance.

You would have to have income from the church for the church to designate part of it as a housing allowance.

You could claim volunteer expenses on a Schedule A, but I do not think you could take your home office as one of those expenses.

Please consult a knowledgeable tax consultant to find out exactly what would qualify for Sch A charitable contribution status.

Bill OConnell from www.wisdomoverwealth.com may be able to help you.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Clergy Tax Q&A.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.