Unemployment compensation

As independent contractor, organist, now that churches are closed during pandemic.

Can I collect unemployment?

Comments for Unemployment compensation

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 22, 2020
Claiming Unemployment Benefits with a Church
by: Vickey

Usually the answer is no.

Churches are exempt from paying unemployment taxes in most states and unless they paid it voluntarily, EMPLOYEES of the church cannot receive unemployment benefits.

Since you are an independent contractor, you are usually not eligible for unemployment benefits as well...HOWEVER... I believe that ICs may be eligible in this pandemic.

So you will need to check with your local unemployment agency to confirm your eligibility.

May 06, 2020
IC Crisis Compensation
by: Anonymous

You can apply for U, Eidl(if it reopens) and the PPP.

Plus, the serve you play with may have you classified incorrectly. If you're a regular musician then technically you should be an employee.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Church Accounting FAQs.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.