Tax Breaks?

by Lou

I am a church organist. They pay my social security but no federal or state tax is withheld. What are the chances of requesting state and federal withholdings. What about "breaks"? I work very hard and while music is wonderful, it takes a lot of work and dedication.


The income and state tax withheld is determined by your completed W-4 on file. If it is not sufficient, you need to complete another W-4 and either not claim as many exemptions or request for more to be held out on line 6.

As far as your tax breaks, that would depend on your personal filing situation.

Hope this helps.

Church Accounting Package

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Clergy Tax Q&A.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.