State and local income tax withholding for ministers

by Steve
(Mason, Ohio)

You've stated that a church cannot withhold income taxes for a minister. It's clear from the IRS documents that this applies to federal income tax, but does it also apply to state and local income taxes?

Vickey's reply
(Edited 1-25-18)
I thought that ministers were exempt form income tax withholding on a state level too, but thanks to the generous reader posting the comment below...I discovered that it is a state by state regulation and you will need to check with not only your state agency...but the local office as well.

Know the answer? Face the same situation? Please post your answer or comment by using the "comment" link below. Thank you!

Comments for State and local income tax withholding for ministers

Click here to add your own comments

Jan 21, 2018
Ohio city income tax withholding
by: Anonymous

This is no longer the case for municipal (city) income taxes in Ohio. As of tax year 2016, those must be withheld for clergy.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Clergy Tax Q&A.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.