Social security reimbursment

Our Priest gets a base of $100k. We designate $36k as housing allowance, even though he lives in a church owned parsonage and pays nothing. This brings his W2 box 1 to $64k. What do I calculate the social security reimbursement on? The $100k base? or something else? A few people on the governing board think we should calculate on $100k plus $36k housing.

Comments for Social security reimbursment

Click here to add your own comments

Jan 12, 2016
Social Security reimbursement?
by: Lewis in NC

Does your church pay an additional amount to the $100,000 to cover the priest's self-employment taxes for Social Security? He/her base for this tax would be $100,000 in this case($64,000 plus the housing allowance exclusion of $36,000).

If he/she does receive a cash reimbursement for SE Tax then it, too, would have to be added to Box 1, correct?

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Clergy Tax Q&A.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.