Question: tax forms/obligation for one time worker

by Christine
(Hoover, AL)

We are a small church; planning to pay a onetime worker $10/hour to assist in the nursery for a special event and simply cut her a check (which is posted to an expense account called 'nursery worker salaries".)
However, reviewing some articles on employee vs independent contractors I am not sure which she would be; what tax forms would we/she need to complete?

(I thought she would be considered an 'independent contractor, and should she be used in the future she would receive a 1099, if she received $600+.) Thanks.

Comments for Question: tax forms/obligation for one time worker

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 23, 2013
by: Anonymous in NC

Your thinking is correct.

Aug 28, 2013
one time worker
by: Sandi

have them fill out a W-9,-Request-for-Taxpayer-Identification-Number-and-Certification

Then if they receive over $600 you have their information at the end of the year :0)


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Church Accounting FAQs.

Need a Consultation, help setting up an effective Accounting System, or someone to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll?

Recommended Resource!

Online classes/courses on how to use QuickBooks Desktop and QB Online for a church! 

Click here for more details!

Use coupon code "FCA" for 10% discount!