Pay for a custodian on disability

by Stephanie Hardy
(Hobbs, NM)

We have recently done a financial overall in our church. I have been appointed to our financial committee and we have run into a difficult situation.

Our custodian is an elderly lady on social security and disability. She is paid $100.00 weekly and provided a parsonage apartment including utilities.

My question is how to continue paying her legally without jeopardizing her benefits. Is there a way to provide for her without doing it against any laws? I would greatly appreciate your input on this matter, as we are new to this process.

Know the answer? Face the same situation? Please post your answer or comment by using the "comment" link below. Thank you!

Comments for Pay for a custodian on disability

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 17, 2011
Disablity Benefits
by: Vickey

I do not personally know of any way.

You may want to speak to a tax professional.

If she receives Social Security and not SSI, I think she can make a certain amount each year and it will not affect her benefits.

I am not sure how the rent-free parsonage would come into play with her disability benefits. She would need to speak to her case worker regarding that issue.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Clergy Tax Q&A.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.