Other Income?

by Scott Cummings
(Conroe, TX, USA)

Do I have to report my continuing education, auto allowance, and social security offset as income when paying my taxes?

Vickey's Reply

Yes...you would definitely need to report the auto allowance and social security offset.

The continuing education would depend on how it was paid. If it is just a check issued to you then it would be taxable income.

To be considered nontaxable income it would need to be paid through an accountable reimbursement plan or something similar...or the church can directly pay for books, trainings, etc.

If it is not set up as nontaxable income then you itemize or file a Schedule C and take your continuing education expenses, business miles, etc. as tax deductions.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Clergy Tax Q&A.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.