Non Paid Clergy

by Rose Florez
(Bonney Lake, WA, USA)

What tax deductions can a Youth Pastor that is licensed to marry, etc. but is bi-vocational at this time. He does use his home, car, computer and office area at home to do his ministry.

Know the answer? Face the same situation? Please post your answer or comment by using the "comment" link below. Thank you!

Comments for Non Paid Clergy

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 03, 2011
Hard to take deductions from zero [non-paid] income
by: Bill OConnell

The tax laws generally do not allow deductions when there is no income. The notable exceptions being charitable contributions and the other well known items on Schedule A of Form 1040.

So the deductions you appear to seek cannot be deducted from income if there is no income. However, they would have to qualify for Sch A charitable contribution status.

Sadly contribution of time cannot be deducted as a charitable contribution.

Take a look at and look at the rules surrounding charitable contributions.

My firm prepares clergy tax returns. See us at

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Clergy Tax Q&A.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!