My family has been attending our recent church for 1 year and has faithfully been giving our tithes and offering. Should we still get a contributions statement? Yes we have been giving by checks and money orders. Also do we have to fill out a membership form to receipt the contribution statement?

Know the answer? Face the same situation? Please post your answer or comment by using the "comment" link below. Thank you!


Click here to add your own comments

Apr 12, 2010
Ask for a statement
by: Anonymous

I don't know if the church you attending does what ours does, however, when someone continues to attend, we issue envelopes even if they are not a member.
The IRS requires a statement from the church with the church's name and address on it to prove that it really was a donation. Apparently they are getting pretty sticky on this.
I would suggest talking with the treasurer/recording secretary to see if something could be provided.

Vickey's reply

Excellent response! You do not have to be a member of a church to receive a contribution receipt. However, many times (especially with a small church) the treasurer/secretary will not issue one unless requested to.

Apr 14, 2010
Recording Contributions
by: Marcus in Texas

In our small church in South Texas, the part-time secretary (12 hours/week) is responsible for maintaining the information on member / non-member contributions. By the end of January each year she mails out the contribution letters. As church treasurer (volunteer) I am not responsible for maintaining these records or for mailing out the annual contribution letters.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Contributions .