Insurance payments for damage to property?

Our church has recently suffered severe water damage and we are starting to receive insurance checks to help offset the costs of the repairs.

How do I track that for accounting purposes?

Do I designate the money to a fund? If I designate the funds what if all the funds aren't needed for the repairs?

Comments for Insurance payments for damage to property?

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 04, 2018
Insurance payments for damage to property?
by: Anonymous - MN

I would log the deposits against the expense line item. That way the insurance payments will not appear as income on your reports and the actual expense of your repairs will show in that expense line item.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Church Accounting FAQs.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.