I received no W2 from the church, how do I report my income?

by John

In 2010 I pastored a church for 7 months. I received a salary, of which about 1/2 of it was designated as a housing allowance.

I am no longer the Pastor of the church and have been informed by the church secretary that they do not and have never issued a W2 to their pastors.

How do I report this income?

vickey's reply

I would ask her to send a letter from the church stating how much was paid for your salary and how much was paid for a church designated housing allowance.

Then you can report the salary on a Schedule C and the housing allowance on a Schedule SE on your income tax return.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Clergy Tax Q&A.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.