Guest speaker's compensation & 1099 reporting

by Lynda

Our church is in the position where we do not have a pastor at the present time. We are supplying our Sunday service with a guest speaker.

When we have a guest speaker we give them $125 for speaking, current IRS mileage rate and $15 for a meal.

When doing research on what is an appropriate amount to pay a speaker these items were broke out.

The question that I have, what part of the money that we give the speaker is reportable on the 1099-Misc form if we pay him over the $600 amount.

If all of it is reportable as income, what advantage for the church or the speaker is it that it is broken out.

Thanks in advance.

Comments for Guest speaker's compensation & 1099 reporting

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 04, 2015
by: M. Wright

You have to issue a 1099 to any ONE vendor, in this case the guest speaker that you will pay over $600.00 to in a year.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Clergy Tax Q&A.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!