Guest Speaker Income

If a pastor speaks regularly as a guest speaker at a second church, and receives a check each time, where does he report this income? No W-2 will be given since he is officially a guest speaker. Is this reported on Schedule C? Does the second church have to give a 1099?

vickey's reply

Yes. It would go on the Pastor’s Schedule C.
The first church would not issue anything; however, the second church should issue a 1099-MISC …if it was over $600 annually.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Clergy Tax Q&A.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.