Church plant tax help

We are a very small house church that just incorporated and opened a bank account.

We are likely moving into another churches facility next month.

I have people giving tithes to support my wife and I.

I need to know what tax forms I must file on behalf of the church, and what forms I must file personally.

Also, when I pay myself, should it be salary or housing allowance?

Our first month we have taken in about $1000. I have not yet paid myself anything. I am sure there is a guide that lays out these steps somewhere, if someone could point me in that direction.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Clergy Tax Q&A.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.