Church name change

by Duane Hampton
(Royce City Texas)

We are changing the name of our church. Do I need to get a new ein? We are in Texas

Comments for Church name change

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 07, 2015
Church name change. . .
by: Lewis in NC

What is an ein?

Feb 08, 2015
Name change
by: D Fry

EIN = Employer Identification Number, or Tax ID

If the church is incorprated, and the name of the church changes, but is still governed by the same corporation - basically changing the dba name only - then a new EIN would not be necessary. But if it is a new entity altogether separate and distinct from the former corporation - which would likely have ceased operations - then a new EIN would definitely be needed.
You should check with a lawyer regarding the name change and the requirements of your state for making such a change. He would also know if a new EIN is needed.

Feb 09, 2015
Chuch name change. . .
by: Anonymous


Thank you D. Fry.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Church Accounting FAQs.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.