Church donation question

Our church has supported a children's ministry for several years which has recently lost it's 501(C)3 exemption. The leaders of the ministry are not employees of our church, and the ministry provides no services directly to our church. Is there any reason why our church cannot continue to give them financial support?

Comments for Church donation question

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 22, 2013
giving to other org's
by: Anonymous

When giving to for profit organizations have them fill out a W-9. If you give them $600 or more a year issue them a 1099 misc.
My question is: are they supporting your mission statement? if not you need to be careful how much you give. Many other issues to consider, check out, go to exempt organization tab and then search....

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Church Accounting FAQs.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.