by Mathew
(New Jersey)

I have changed denominations. In my previous denomination, we were under a vow of poverty and thus did not pay into Social Security. In my new denomination, I am not under this vow and would like to pay into Social Security.
How do I change my 4361 status? Is this possible?

Comments for 4361

Click here to add your own comments

Opting Back into Social Security
by: Vickey

You can file an IRS Form 2031 to opt back in again; however, be aware that you could be liable for not only this year self-employment taxes, but for the three previous years as well.

See this article from Crown Financial Ministries: Social Security tax for ministers (second paragraph)

My best advice is to consult a knowledgeable tax professional first.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to IRS Form 4361.