Patriot Software Advisor

2 year rule

by Nikki P

My husband and I went into ministry 6 years ago. When I filed our taxes with H&R Block, I inquired about why we were paying self-employment taxes.

I was rudely told by the manager that "pastors have to pay taxes too." So, not having an accounting degree or something, I figured this was just an error made by the government.

Are there exemptions made for the 2 year rule? We truly believe that this is really not good stewardship of the money God has given to us. Also, a number of religious/political reasons. Thank you!

Comments for 2 year rule

Click here to add your own comments

Jun 01, 2020
Past the 2 Year Window
by: Vickey

That's sad that the tax preparer was so rude, but you have to file the 4361 form within 2 years of receiving income from your ministry.

I don't know of any "loophole" to get around that =(

You may try contacting a CPA that is knowledgable regarding minister's taxes such as or

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to IRS Form 4361.

Need training on how to use QBO or Aplos effectively for a church or better yet ...need an expert in either of those accounting software to do your monthly bookkeeping and/or payroll? See more on our accounting services!