Opt back into Social Security after changing denominations.

by Vinnie
(Toledo, OH)

I am a pastor. My previous church "encouraged" me to opt out of social security. I've changed denominations, and will soon be receiving ministerial pay. Can I opt back into Social Security, based on the fact that I'm part of a new religious body?

Comments for Opt back into Social Security after changing denominations.

Click here to add your own comments

Dec 29, 2014
Social Security options
by: Lewis in NC

It is my understanding that ministers were given the option of reversing their Social Security exemptions in 1977 and 1987. So you have missed the window to do that. Just keep your eyes and ears open to changes in the law that might give that option again some time in the future.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to IRS Form 4361.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.