Guest Speaker Love Offering

Giving a love offering to a guest speaker from India. The church members make their checks out to our church for the deduction, but we as the church are giving the love offering in one lump sum. Would a 1099 be issued in this case, keeping in mind the guest speaker is from India.Thanks

Know the answer? Face the same situation? Please post your answer or comment by using the "comment" link below. Thank you!

Comments for Guest Speaker Love Offering

Click here to add your own comments

Jun 03, 2011
Foreign Guest Speakers
by: Anonymous

No. A 1099 is for US resident only.

I found this blog entry written by Paul Rivera:
IRS Requires 30% Withholding on Love offerings to Foreign Guest Speakers

But it is dated Oct 2009, so I would consult a knowledgeable tax professional about this requirement.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Love Offerings.

If you want to DIY your payroll, I highly recommend you look at using Gusto! It is very user friendly and their support is awesome! Plus they know how to set up and maintain payrolls for churches and nonprofit organizations.

Note: I am a "partner" of Gusto, but as I have told you before ... I never recommend anything that we or our clients have not tried and love =)

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.